Digital Photography

by Paul Farrier

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blue Ridge Sunset


This past Tuesday I made an unplanned detour and got on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Asheville, North Carolina - and headed north, looking for a place to pull over and make a few phone calls to friends and family members who lived in the area. Shortly, I was pulling into the visitor center about 10 minutes before closing. After picking up some information which included a pamphlet map just like the one I got for the Natchez Trace Parkway, I talked to a gentleman and he mentioned that they were just at 5,400 feet up on a mountain, less than an hour before.

That was all it took - so headed on up the Parkway. I got more than I bargained for. I ended up atop of Mt. Mitchell, which is the highest peak in the United States east of the Mississippi River. I stayed there a little longer than I should have. It was cold and windy and I got chilled to the bone. I thought would catch the sunset there but I thought there may be a place just as good on the way back. After a quick bite to eat at the restaurant there at the Mt. Mitchell State Park, I ended up where I wanted to be - a clearing and a view point that sets on a ridge.

Sunsets are easy - but if you remember the rule of thirds, they can be a bit more pleasing. Notice that the sun is not centered in the picture. Notice also that the sky only takes up the top third and the near and far mountain ranges take up the lower third. The far mountain range takes the top third, and the near mountain range takes up two thirds. This is not exact, but I've adjusted the cropping to where I like it.

Below is a Google Earth rendering of the same view.


No comments: